1.1. The following clauses constitute the terms and conditions on which CrimeLine Training Limited (Supplier) provides access to the public pages on this website and/or subscriptions to CrimeLine Complete for a period of one year from a date to be agreed by the supplier and notified to the counterparty (the “subscription”); at a price to be agreed between Supplier and the counterparty (the “agreed price”) (which for the avoidance of doubt, may be nil), and to which use of the services and materials provided in conjunction with a subscription or registration (as detailed in clauses 2 to 5) (the “services”) is subject.
1.2 CrimeLine is licensed for individual practitioner use, we do not contract with library services, knowledge management, billing departments or other support.
3.1. Following payment of the agreed price, Supplier agrees to supply a person on whose behalf a subscription to CrimeLine Complete has been taken out (who may be the same person as the person who takes out the subscription) (the “subscriber”) with a username and/or password, enabling access to the log-in protected area of the website.
3.1.1 For the avoidance of doubt: The subscription remains with the subscriber for the duration of the subscription, if the subscriber leaves the employment of, for example, an organisation that paid the subscription fee, the subscription remains with the original subscriber and cannot be transferred to another user.
3.2. Supplier also undertakes to email the subscriber ‘CrimeLine Updater’ throughout the period of the subscription to the most recent email address it has been provided with for the subscriber. ‘CrimeLine Updater’ is an email newsletter containing cases, legislation and other information that the Supplier deems relevant to the Subscriber as part of the subscription, and at such intervals as the supplier thinks appropriate.
3.2.1 CrimeLine Assist: For the avoidance of doubt, CrimeLine Assist is not contractually a part of CrimeLine Complete, it is provided on a complimentary basis and may be withdrawn or restricted at any time. [Added 27 November 2019].
8.1. Excepting rights of third parties in the contents and design of any third party advertisements, logos, trademarks or other materials and excepting any parliamentary or crown copyright material reproduced with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen’s Printer for Scotland, the contents and design of the services are copyright of Supplier, and all other rights, title, interest and intellectual property rights in the services belong to Supplier.
8.1.1 Contains information licensed under the Open Justice – Licence v1.0. [Added 26 July 2022].
8.2. “CrimeLine” is a trade name of Supplier; all rights in the trade name are reserved.
8.3. Subject to clause 9 below, the counterparty and each subscriber and/ or registrant shall ensure that the services are not used in any fashion that infringes the copyright or other proprietary interests therein, including by removing or obscuring any copyright notices or other notices contained in the services, or by reproducing or using the CrimeLine trade name.
Use of CrimeLine Complete services
9.1. Excepting as permitted below, no part of the
services provided by Supplier in connection with a subscription or registration
may be used, reproduced, photocopied, modified, printed, sold, transferred,
displayed, transmitted, republished, or in any other way exploited, in any
form, including distribution, storage in an electronic system for retrieval,
transient reproduction by means of a computer system or network, or by creating
9.2. Permission is granted to subscribers and/ or registrants, and to any third parties agreed between Supplier and the counterparty (an “agreed third party”), to use the services in accordance with these terms and conditions by electronically displaying the services on a computer screen (primarily for the subscriber’s and/ or registrant’s, or any agreed third party’s exclusive use), printing or photocopying individual articles or pages from the services and retrieving and storing machine-readable copies from the services (including the caching of pages for the subscriber’s and/ or registrant’s, or any agreed third party’s, browser software which are copies of the then current pages of the website) only:
- in connection with and for the purpose of particular legal proceedings that the subscriber is personally dealing with;
- in connection with and for the purpose of legal research by and for the subscriber or giving professional legal advice by the subscriber personally;
- for personal or personal academic use.
9.3. No use, reproduction, photocopying, printing, display, or storage of any part of the services is permitted by the foregoing permission for purposes outside the permission, such as printing, or photocopying for general circulation, including circulation with a firm, chambers, government department or more widely.
9.4. [not used with effect from 28 November 2019]
9.5. [not used with effect from 28 November 2019]
Online access and usernames and passwords
10.1. Each username and/or password issued as part of a subscription to CrimeLine Complete is for the subscriber’s (i.e. single use) only and Supplier will not permit access through a single username and/or password being made available to multiple users on a network. Excepting the supply of the username and/or password by a responsible person to a subscriber for whom it has been created by Supplier, the subscriber and any responsible person shall not disclose the username or password to any other person under any circumstances whatsoever, and it is the responsibility of the counterparty, any responsible person and the subscriber to ensure the confidentiality of the username and password and to notify Supplier immediately on becoming aware of any unauthorised use thereof.
10.2. A subscriber may allow agreed third parties to use the log-in protected areas of the website, but only in a manner which ensures that the agreed third parties do not become aware of the subscriber’s username and password or breach these terms and conditions.
10.3. Clauses 10.1 and 10.2 are subject to specific agreement with Supplier to the contrary.
11.1. Before the end of a subscription and/ or a registration (whether the original or subsequent renewal), Supplier will notify the counterparty in writing of the date of the expiry of the subscription and/ or registration and the price of the subscription and/ or registration for the following year (the “subscription renewal”/ “registration renewal”).Should the counterparty wish to renew, it is his responsibility, and the responsibility of any responsible person, to notify Supplier of the wish to renew and of any changes to the personal details of the counterparty, any responsible person and each subscriber and/ or registrant before taking out the subscription renewal and/ or registration renewal.
11.2. The then-current terms and conditions shall upon the renewal apply to subscription renewals and registration renewals.
Changes to CrimeLine Complete services
12. Supplier reserves the right, in its discretion, to suspend, change, modify, add or remove the whole or any part of the services.
Termination, transfer and cancellation
13.1. Although a subscription and/ or registration may be cancelled at any time, cancellation shall not affect liability to payment in full of the agreed price and any additional charges levied under these terms and conditions, regardless of whether cancellation takes place before receipt of a VAT invoice, and no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
13.2. Supplier reserves the right to suspend or terminate a subscription and/ or registration where it becomes aware of a failure to comply with these terms and conditions. Such suspension or termination shall not affect liability to make payment in full of the agreed price and any additional charges levied under these terms and conditions, and no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
13.3. Subscriptions cannot be transferred to any other person.
13.4. [Not used]
Changes to these terms and conditions
14. Supplier may, in its discretion, change these terms and conditions by posting an amended set of “CrimeLine Complete Terms and Conditions” on the website. Where terms and conditions are substantially changed, Supplier will, where appropriate, notify the counterparty, subscribers and/ or registrants, and any responsible person, in writing. Use of the services by a subscriber and/ or registrant, or any agreed third party, following the posting of an amended set of terms and conditions or a notification, will constitute an acceptance by the counterparty, each subscriber and/ or registrants, and any responsible person of the terms and conditions as modified.
No warranty, disclaimer of liability and indemnity etc.
15.1. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the high quality and accuracy of the services, Supplier makes no warranty, express or implied, concerning the services, which are provided “as is”. Supplier expressly disclaims all warranties, including but not limited to warranties of fitness for a particular purpose and warranties of merchantability. In no event will Supplier be liable for direct, special, incidental, or consequential damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of business profits, business interruption, loss of business information or other pecuniary loss) arising directly or indirectly from the use of (or failure to use) or reliance on the services, even where Supplier has been advised of the possibility that such damages may arise. The services are provided for information only and are not offered as an exhaustive statement of the law. Commentary is offered as opinion, and not as professional legal advice.
15.2. Supplier is not liable for the content and design of any third party materials included in the services.
15.3. In no event will any liability of Supplier to a counterparty, a subscriber and/ or registrant, and/ or any third party, including agreed third parties, arising out of any kind of legal claim (whether in contract, tort, or otherwise) in any way connected with the services or with breach of these terms and conditions by Supplier exceed the amount, if any, paid to Supplier in respect of a subscription or registration.
15.4. Upon CrimeLine’s request, the counterparty must defend, indemnify and hold harmless Supplier from any claims and expenses, including reasonable legal fees, related to any breach of these terms and conditions by the counterparty, a subscriber and/ or registrant, any responsible person, any of their employees or agents, or agreed third parties.
Privacy/ Data protection
16.1. In order to provide the services, monitor site usage, respond to enquiries, and, unless otherwise requested, send (including by email) relevant marketing, advertising and promotional material on Supplier’s products and services, and in some instances third party products and services, personal information, including names, occupation, contact details and bank account details, may be collected from counterparties, subscribers and/ or registrants, responsible persons and agreed third parties, and cookies may be downloaded to their computers. Other than in so far as is necessary to carry out the services, personal information will not be disclosed to any third parties without prior written consent from the counterparty, subscriber and/ or registrant, responsible person or agreed third party, as applicable, or unless otherwise obliged or permitted by law. As a general rule Supplier will not keep information longer than is necessary and, whilst in its possession, any personal information collected will be safeguarded according to the requirements of any Data Protection Act. Supplier will at all times comply with the requirements of any Data Protection Act and any other applicable data protection legislation. Our website may use ‘cookies’ in order to assist functionality as part of the WordPress core service, we do not intelligently harvest this information in any way. Your use of the service implies consent to cookies being used – please note that you can take control of cookie settings in your web browser.
16.2. Counterparties, subscribers and/ or registrants, responsible persons or agreed third parties wanting a copy of, or to correct, any of their personal information, who do not wish to receive promotional material from Supplier or who do not wish cookies to be downloaded to their computer, may write to the postal address given in clause 22.
17. Supplier will not be liable or deemed to be in default for any delay or failure in performance or interruption of the delivery of any of the services resulting directly or indirectly from any cause or circumstance beyond its reasonable control, including but not limited to failure of electronic or mechanical equipment or communication lines, telephone or other interconnect problems, computer viruses, unauthorised access, theft, operator errors, severe weather, earthquakes or natural disasters, strikes or other labour problems, wars, or governmental restrictions.
18. If any provision of these terms and conditions is invalid or unenforceable, such invalidity or unenforceability will not render all the terms and conditions unenforceable or invalid but rather the terms and conditions will be read and construed as if any invalid or unenforceable provisions were not contained therein.
19. No delay or omission on the part of Supplier in requiring performance of any obligations under these terms and conditions will operate as a waiver of any right.
20. These terms and conditions are personal to the counterparty, each subscriber and/ or registrant, and any responsible person, and their rights and obligations under these terms and conditions may not be assigned, sub-licensed or otherwise transferred, subject to clause 13 .3. This agreement may be assigned to a third party by Supplier.
Third party rights
21. No third party (other than agreed third parties in accordance with these terms and conditions) shall acquire any rights under these terms and conditions and the provisions of the Contract (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 are excluded.
Notices and complaints
22. Notices to be given in writing to Supplier must be sent to CrimeLine at the address stated on the Contact Page of the website.
23. Save as set out in Clause 1.2 above, these terms and conditions constitute the entire agreement and understanding between the parties and supersede all previous agreements, arrangements and understandings between them.
Cumulative rights and remedies
24. The rights and remedies of the parties under these terms and conditions are cumulative and in addition to any rights and remedies provided by law.
25. These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in all respects in accordance with English law and the parties agree to submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts as regards any claim or matter arising in relation to these terms and conditions.
Last revision: 10 December 2019